Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Christmas Tree Shoppe. OR.... Things I Don't Really Need But Will DIE Without

How cute is this?! I mean....honestly!  It's a little, pink, vase (in case that wasn't obvious) with a patch of toile in the middle! I can't even.  All my favorite colors, purposeful, and with a HINT of whimsy! AND!?!?!?!? A DOLLAR! A flippin' dollar, people!  Behold the little,pink vase.  A memory of the day I officially became my Mother.  Lamenting to Mark in The Christmas Tree Shoppe, "but it's a dollarrrrrrrrr".  Now, we have vases, yes.  But we didn't have THIS one.  And we also didn't have an olive oil dispenser covered in Mermaids. NEEDED.  That one was a non-negotiable. If there were cat litter bags with mermaids on them I would need them.  You can never have enough Mermaids.

I am concerned, however,when I start to notice all of the piles of stuff in every nook and cranny of my home.

There is a part of me that worries that my Mother and I are going to end up in the Medford Lakes house like Big Edie and Little Edie Beale one day....she with her silver glitter Jesus piggy bank and I with my little, pink vase.  Lots of cats.  And enough expired WaWa French Vanilla ceamer in the fridge to choke a horse.  My sister will show up offer each of us a kind word and a quick sponge bath and then leave until she gets another phone call from a concerned neighbor.  But I think my "problem" is nothing compared to my Mom.  Now, my Mom buys some really ridiculous crap. The groundhog from CaddyShack for $1.50 at  a yardsale....it doesn't work.  But it was $1.50, so you know, she had to have it.  It sits on our front porch on a wicker table not dancing or singing.  And not that it would make it any better if my Mom had a working CaddyShack Groundhog but at least it would be functional for terrifying my Sister on Christmas Eve or to bring out for company.  My little pink vase is functional and adorable.  The Groundhog...not so much.

It was my crazy Mother though, who taught me the joys of a flea market, home goods, and now...The Christmas Tree Shoppe.  I bought bowls for our new dining room for 2$ a piece which you would swear were from Anthropologie- but they're NOT! We got about 8 picture frames for mayyyybe $15bux!  Silverware! Coffee!  It's just a magical, magical place.  Granted I found myself reaching for things I clearly did not need.  Soy sauce dishes.....not needed.  A sherpa blanket.  Not needed.  Pink Flamingo Christmas lights for my Sister....I put them back but I'm not so sure those weren't needed.  But you get my drift.  We got in and got out with lots of great stuff for under $60bux! 

So the next time you come over and are impressed with my bowls, my mermaids and my overall whimsical, flawless style.  Remember....you can get it too. On the cheap. Just check  yourself before you buy the silver, glitter Jesus.



xoxJac

No comments:

Post a Comment